When we think of activity breaks for adults, we don’t automatically think of Opera and classical music packages, but in fact these are fantastic options that we really should consider! A night at the theatre can be a night you’ll remember for the rest of your life! But did you know...
- The earliest surviving opera is Euridice which was performed in Florence in 1600, Opera quickly spread to Rome and Venice!
- The first public opera house opened in Venice in 1637 where “the father of opera”, Claudio Monteverdi (1567-1643) made opera more music based rather than dialogue-oriented.
- You may have heard people mention Wagner’s “The Ring”? This is in fact a four piece opera, normally performed individually, but if performed back to back it is close to 14 hours long! Wagner wrote it over a 30-year span.
- Wagner is reported to have been Adolf Hitler’s favourite composer.
- Whistling at many European operas actually means “boo”!!
- After an opera, it is appropriate to yell “bravo” for a man and “brava” for a woman, and you use “bravi” for two or more singers!
- In 2002, according to the National Endowment for the Arts report, 6.6 million adults attended at least one opera performance.
- It is estimated that Phantom of the Opera has been seen by more that 140million people, and has made more than $6 billion worldwide.
- You may have already enjoyed classical music if you watched Disney’s Fantasia!? The movie is made of 8 animated segments set to pieces of classical music conducted by Leopold Stokowski, a renowned conductor of Irish/Polish descent!
If you fancy trying your hand at an Opera performance or attending a classical music concert, then why not see what we have on offer? We offer Andrea Bocelli’s special homecoming concert in the Teatro del Silenzio in Lajatico, and another concert later the year in Marostica! Or if a traditional opera performance is more your idea of an activity break for an adult, then check out our range of opera and classical packages here.